Also receives Smart Rudder Bias certification for GFC 600-equipped Cessna 414A aircraft.
Garmin® has announced it has received an FAA STC for the GFC™ 600 autopilot in the Piper Meridian (PA-46-500TP)1. Additionally, Smart Rudder Bias2 is now certified for Cessna 414A aircraft equipped with the GFC 600 autopilot, further growing the list of compatible aircraft to offer this safety-enhancing technology.
The GFC 600 digital autopilot is intended for piston single/twin-engine and turbine aircraft that have a wide range of speed and performance characteristics, and provides a long list of existing general aviation aircraft with a simple, lightweight, cost-effective autopilot upgrade path. Incorporating solid state attitude with robust self-monitoring capabilities, the GFC 600 provides superior autopilot performance, greater reliability, and tremendous safety tools. In addition to traditional autopilot capabilities such as altitude hold, vertical speed and heading modes, the GFC 600 also includes:
- Premium functions and advanced capabilities such as altitude pre-select3 and indicated airspeed hold mode
- VNAV capability when paired with a GTN™ or GTN Xi series navigator
- Dedicated LVL button automatically engages the autopilot to restore the aircraft to straight and level flight with one press
- Support for Smart Glide™ that can automate tasks and reduce pilot workload in engine power loss emergencies when paired with a GTN Xi series navigator and Garmin attitude indicator
- Underspeed and overspeed protection
- Select, couple and fly various instrument approaches, including GPS, ILS, VOR, LOC and back course approaches when paired with a compatible Garmin GPS navigator
- Yaw Damping (YD) mode minimizes yawing oscillations while also helping to maintain coordinated flight
- ESP functions independently of the autopilot and works in the background while the pilot is hand-flying the aircraft to help avoid inadvertent flight attitudes or bank angles by nudging the pilot to return the aircraft back to a safe flight attitude
Smart Rudder Bias
Part of the Garmin Autonomí™ family of autonomous flight technologies, Smart Rudder Bias provides pilots assistance against the hazardous effects of one-engine inoperative (OEI) flight when the aircraft is appropriately equipped.The system continuously monitors engine parameters using Engine Indication System (EIS) data displayed on a G500 TXi™ or G600 TXi flight display and activates when the system detects a predetermined power differential between each engine. Once activated, rudder force is dynamically adjusted to aid a pilot in providing enough force to the rudder to help control a sideslip. A yellow annunciator for the associated inoperative engine is conveniently displayed along with autopilot annunciations on the G500 TXi or G600 TXi flight display, helping the pilot identify the issue quicker.
Enhanced Garmin Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP™) settings for OEI conditions help Smart Rudder Bias equipped aircraft avoid potentially hazardous flight attitudes and airspeeds by tailoring these settings to help address the aerodynamic characteristics associated with OEI operations. Smart Rudder Bias requires a G500 TXi or G600 TXi configured as a primary flight display (PFD) with engine indication system (EIS) data, which can be shown as a strip on the G500 TXi or G600 TXi, or on a separate dedicated TXi EIS display. Additionally, Smart Rudder Bias requires the yaw axis option be installed on the GFC 600.
Garmin continues to add additional aircraft models to the growing STC list for the GFC 600 autopilot. To view the most up-to-date aircraft STC list, to view certifications that are expected to being in the next 12-months, or to express interest in a specific aircraft make/model, visit www.garmin.com/GFC600.
For additional information about Smart Rudder Bias and the Garmin Autonomí family of automated flight technologies, visit www.Garmin.com/SmartRudderBias.
1 Covers Meridian models 2000-2009; not compatible with G1000 installations
2 Smart Rudder Bias requires other Garmin avionics which are sold separately
3 Requires compatible flight display